Woman rushed to hospital, man injured during Albany house fire - NEWS10 ABC: Albany, New York News, Weather, Sports

Woman rushed to hospital, man injured during Albany house fire

Posted: Updated:

ALBANY, N.Y. – A fire broke out at an Albany home Monday morning leaving one woman in critical condition.

Albany firefighters arrived at the house on Adirondack Street around 9:20 a.m. to find it fully engulfed in flames. Three people, including a toddler, were inside the home at the time, according to Fire Chief Warren Abriel Jr.

The mother and her daughter were found by the toddler's uncle in a bedroom. He escaped through a window with the toddler and suffered a severe but non-life threatening cut.

The mother was pulseless and breathless when pulled from the home as first responders began CPR and advanced medical care, including using a Cyanokit as an antidote to cyanide poisoning.

Strangers outside the house also helped during the fire.

Peter Siciliano is a City of Albany Water Department employee. He happened to be working nearby when the fire began.

"When we reached the corner, we saw the smoke and the flames," he said.

Siciliano said he ran toward the fire where he saw the uncle bleeding on the ground after he had climbed out the window. His niece was being held by a handyman who also happened to be working nearby.

"He said, ‘The baby's mother is still in the fire.' I said, ‘Well, I'll hold the baby,'" Siciliano continued.

The father of three and the handyman watched as firefighters rescued the mother. Siciliano said he did his best to comfort the girl.

"She was probably in shock, covered in shock," he said. "I don't think she knew what was going on. I gave her my body heat as best I could."

The fire department continued battling the blaze while responders performed resuscitation efforts on the mother and cared for the toddler and 19-year-old uncle.

All three victims were taken to Albany Medical Center. The mother pulse returned while paramedics worked on her during transport to the hospital.

The mother remains in critical condition.

The house was heavily damaged by fire, smoke and water.

Powered by WorldNow

341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204

Telephone: 518.436.4822
Fax: 518.426.4792
Email: news@news10.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.