SUMMIT, N.Y. – After a fire destroyed a 114-year-old home which was occupied by a family of four, the community is reaching out.
The fire broke out at 1301 Charlotte Valley Road on Friday evening, according to Fire Chief Don Clarke. The fire alarm woke up the mother and her two children which led everyone to safety.
Firefighters arrived to the scene and had a difficult time battling the blaze in below zero temperatures. Clarke said the water sources were frozen and hoses and fire trucks froze as well. The home is completely destroyed.
For those looking to donate to the family, clothing can be dropped off at Summit Fire Department on Route 10 on Tuesdays from 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m. – 11 a.m. Other drop off locations will be announced at a later date. Chief Clarke told NEWS10 ABC a fundraiser is being planned.
Adult Male – X-Large Shirts and Jackets, 38-32 Pants, 10.5 Shoe
Adult Female – Medium – Large Tops, 8 or 10 Pants, 8 Shoe
Male Child Age 8 – Size 10 and 5.5 Shoe
Male Child Age 2 – Size 2-T and 4 Shoe
Toys for the children are also being accepted.