Fire Chief: 114 year old Schoharie County home burns to the grou - NEWS10 ABC: Albany, New York News, Weather, Sports

Fire Chief: 114 year old Schoharie County home burns to the ground

Posted:

SUMMIT, N.Y. – There was a house fire in Schoharie County on Friday evening, according to officials.

Summit Fire Chief Don Clarke said a smoke alarm awoke a mother and her children to flames on the second floor of the home.

Firefighters arrived to the scene and had a difficult time battling the blaze in below zero temperatures. Clarke said the water sources were frozen and hoses and fire trucks froze as well.

According to Clarke, the two story post and beam home, which was built in the year 1900, has "burned to the ground."

Those who lived in the home did not sustain any injuries. However, two firefighters suffered minor injuries.

Mutual aid was requested from multiple departments in Schoharie and Ostego Counties.

Clarke confirmed that the family did lose all of their belongings in the fire. He says the communities of Summit and Charlotteville are pulling together to help the family. The American Red Cross of Northeastern New York provided assistance to a family of two adults and two children, ages 8 and 1.

Powered by WorldNow

341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204

Telephone: 518.436.4822
Fax: 518.426.4792
Email: news@news10.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.