WILTON, N.Y. -- Evacuations orders in Wilton have been lifted after a large propane leak, according to the Saratoga County Sheriff.
A 17,000 gallon propane tank leaked out at the Amerigas Facility in Wilton on Friday night. A half-mile area around the scene was evacuated immediately; the town used reverse 911 to notify residents like Judy Dashnaw.
"We just got a phone call a few minutes ago, said there was a gas leak and we should evacuated to the fire house," explained Dashnaw.
Wilton Fire Chief Bill Morgan said firefighters were going door to door to evacuate residents earlier Friday night.
The leak started from a bottom of a discharge pipe.
"The emergency shut off did not function so we had to isolate the tank," said Morgan.
Firefighters secured the area after evacuating people, and back away from the scene. However, they remained on standby with water staged at the scene and a mobile command center set up about a quarter mile from the leak.
"There are only four people in and around the tank, those are Amerigas employees," explained Morgan.
Chief Morgan said they will empty the liquid into two stable tanks and burn off the gas. The cold weather on Friday was able to help because cold propane will freeze.
Those who were evacuated around 5 p.m. were able to be back in their homes early Saturday morning.
No injuries were reported as a result of the leak.
341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204
Can’t find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.