RENSSELAER, N.Y.--Rensselaer County Sheriff Jack Mahar is giving out an early warning to anyone thinking about drinking and driving on Super Bowl Sunday.
Sheriff Mahar is advising residents to make the safe play and pass their keys to a designated driver so everyone can make it home safely.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration offered additional safety tips:
If you are hosting a party:
- Make sure all guests designate a sober driver before kickoff
- Serve plenty of food
- Offer a variety of non-alcoholic choices
- Be prepared for guests to spend the night
- Only serve alcohol to guests 21 and older
If you're attending a party:
- Designate a driver before the party begins
- Before you arrive have a cab company listed in your cell phone
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol too fast, and make sure to eat enough food
- Always buckle up- it's the best defense against other drunk drivers