N.Y. - The name of the man who died in a Greenwich fire has been released along
with details of what contributed to the blaze.
The Greenwich Cambridge Fire Department responded to the report of
a house fire around 5 p.m. Sunday at 52 Salem Street. The fire quickly spread
to the two houses on either side of the original site of the fire.
fire was brought under control around 8 p.m. and demolition has begun on the
home. The second floor caved into the first floor during the blaze, which is
where officials found 77-year-old Paul Parker deceased.
first responders arrived on Sunday, the smoke was too heavy and the flames too
hot for crews to rescue the man.
Cambridge-Greenwich Police Chief George Bell said "The
initial officers, when they responded, did encounter some sort of
flames tore through the second floor the blaze quickly spread to two
neighboring homes. Those two families are now displaced from their homes.
Robin Peltier lived in one of the neighboring homes.
"The whole siding is all charred up and shutters melted broken glass water
damage," she described.
The resident who lived in the second floor apartment with family, tried to
salvage what was left of their belongings and memories.
"She found family photos," said Peltier. "She cried. I'm glad she found
them because she's got nothing now so I'm really happy that she does but my
hearts with her."
resident Solomon Charhon was scared as he watched this home at 56 Salem Street go
up in flames, spreading quickly to nearby homes. He was scared because he said
he knew what could have caused the fatal fire that killed parker.
was concerned," explained Charhon. "I knew that he smoked and I knew he was on
oxygen and I've known of people that do smoke while their tank is on its just
very dangerous obviously and that was my concern that that was what happened to
said an autopsy has confirmed Parker died due to the fire and sustained burns
on 90 percent of his body.
also said Parker was smoking a cigarette in his living room, while using an
oxygen tank, all contributing factors to the blaze.
know the guy had a ton of medical history," explained Bell. "It's a
sad state of affairs but I guess at this point he had on enjoyment in life
unfortunately that was smoking and here we are today."
wife was in the living room when the fire started and she escaped with minor
burns. They had lived in the apartment for two years.
seen too many people die of cancer and accidents like this," said Bell.
say this was not the first time police were called to 56 Salem Street for a
fire incident. Last year, Parker suffered burns to his face during a similar
incident, according to authorities.
has a medical condition and there was an issue where he was burned in the
residence back in October," explained Bell.
Residents contacted NEWS10 ABC about concerns over the fire
departments involved in this case, wondering why Middle
Falls and Easton Fire Departments were not called as they are close by.
Chief Bell said mutual aid protocol
was followed and would not comment further.
Local News <a href="http://www.wten.com/category/173731/-local-news">More>></a>Local NewsMore>>
SCHENECTADY, N.Y. – A fire broke out at St. Anthony's Church Friday evening. The call for the fire at 331 Seward Place came in around 6:30 p.m. The fire started in the basement and spread upward causingMore >>
A fire broke out at St. Anthony's Church Friday evening.More >>
TROY, N.Y. – A local church is giving a gun away in a raffle, and a politician has received threats for participating in the event. Grace Baptist Church in Troy will be giving a gun away in a raffle onMore >>
A local church is giving a gun away in a raffle, and a politician has received threats for participating in the event.More >>
SOUTH GLENS FALLS N.Y. – The 37TH Annual South High Marathon Dance kicks off tonight at 7 p.m. in the South Glens Falls High School gym. The Marathon Dance has been around for decades, starting with onlyMore >>
The 37th annual South High Marathon Dance kicked-off Friday. More >>
TROY, N.Y. – A fire broke out at the Red Front restaurant in Troy Friday evening. The call for the fire came in just after 6 p.m. The fire started in the attic of the Division Street eatery. The restaurantMore >>
A fire broke out at the Red Front restaurant in Troy Friday evening.More >>
ALBANY, N.Y. – The University at Albany Police Department is warning the school community about an e-mail scheme circulating various campuses around the country. The e-mail scheme contains threateningMore >>
The University at Albany Police Department is warning the school community about an e-mail scheme circulating various campuses around the country.More >>
EAST GREENBUSH, N.Y. – A 19-year-old was arrested and charged Friday for having sexual relations with a minor. An investigation by the East Greenbush Police Department determined Jared Watts had sexualMore >>
A 19-year-old was arrested and charged Friday for having sexual relations with a minor.More >>
JOHNSTOWN, N.Y. – Police arrested a Johnstown man for an August 2013 assault. Ricky Mitchell was arrested and charged with one count of Assault in the Second Degree and one count of Endangering the WelfareMore >>
Police arrested a Johnstown man for an August 2013 assault.More >>
GLOVERSVILLE, N.Y. – Police made an arrest for multiple drug charges in Fulton County. Freddie Barksdale was arrested for one count of Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the Third DegreeMore >>
Police made an arrest for multiple drug charges in Fulton County.More >>
CAROGA, N.Y. – Police made an arrest for burglary in Fulton County. Cori Ostrander was arrested and charged with one count of Burglary for entering the attached garage of the Outlet Restaurant with theMore >>
Police made an arrest for burglary in Fulton County.More >>
JOHNSTOWN, N.Y. – Police arrested and charged a Johnstown man for Grand Larceny. James Anderson was charged with one count of Grand Larceny for allegedly stealing a credit or debit card from a pocketbookMore >>
Police arrested and charged a Johnstown man for Grand Larceny.More >>