Broken gas line caused fire at Guilderland pizza shop - NEWS10 ABC: Albany, New York News, Weather, Sports

Broken gas line caused fire at Guilderland pizza shop

Posted:
NEWS10 ABC NEWS10 ABC

GUILDERLAND, N.Y. – A Friday evening fire at a local pizza shop was caused by a broken gas line, according to the Guilderland Fire Chief Sean Maquire.

On Friday, shortly before 5:30 p.m., the Guilderland Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 3905 Carman Road. Police arrived to evacuate employees and customers of Ruggiero's Pizza, Deli, and Catering.

According to Chief Maguire, the fire, which was coming from the roof of the building, was extinguished within several minutes.

The broke gas line was supplying the rooftop heating unit.

Assistant Fire Chief Frank Zabinski said "This fire demonstrates why it is important to recognize the hazards of natural gas. Whenever you smell natural gas, evacuate the building or area immediately and call 911."

Officials believe the building can be repaired. However, there was significant damage to the business.

There were no injuries as a result of the fire.

Volunteers from the Guilderland Fire Department, Guilderland Center Fire Department, and Fort Hunter Fire Company helped to knock down the fire.  

The pizza shop had several orders to fulfill this week and luckily they have a second shop in Scotia to do so. The Ruggerio's say they plan to fill orders that were scheduled for next week. People interested in contacting them about their order can reach them at 518-399-1247.

Powered by WorldNow
     
NEWS10 ABC
341 Northern Boulevard
Albany, NY 12204
+(518) 436-4822
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WTEN. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.