MENANDS, N.Y. – Workers in the Riverview Center office building returned to work Friday after the building was evacuated Thursday night due to a chemical smell.
Around 7:30 p.m. Thursday, West Albany Fire and Hazmat responded to 150 Broadway in Menands for a reported chemical smell.
The office building was mostly evacuated by the time crews arrived. Officials said the smell was due to a chemical being used for roof work on the building. The fumes were pulled into the fifth floor by the heating unit.
One woman was taken to the hospital for breathing problems.
"When you read about this type of chemical, irritation is common and not really a big deal," West Albany Fire Chief Daniel Sullivan explained. "You get some fresh air and maybe administer some oxygen to get it out of your system"
All of the floors were checked and cleared. Sullivan said the incident could have been prevented if the vent was closed prior to the roofing work.
341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204
Can’t find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.