ROTTERDAM, N.Y. – Firefighters responded to a house fire at on Elizabeth Street in Rotterdam on Wednesday.
All three people living in the home are accounted for and uninjured, but now the worry is where they will live.
When firefighters arrived at the home on Elizabeth Street, flames were shooting through the roof and out the windows.
"I was just afraid the flames were going to spread," said neighbor Connie Cappello.
Cappello said she was able to get her dog out of the house, but says the powers been cut and she's not sure when she can go back inside.
The homeowner Roberta Whtiing says she only found out about the fire after she pulled up to her street and saw all the fire trucks.
"We had no way to contact her," said her cousin, Maria Simmons.
Whtiing lives in the home with her two sons, and Simmons said she was panicked that one of the sons may be home – he has special needs and is wheelchair bound.
In the end, no one was in the home, and the Red Cross has provided food, clothing, and lodging to the three.
Fire investigators have determined the blaze was accidental. Officials say the fire was caused by electrical problems.
341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204
Can’t find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.