ALBANY, N.Y. - Albany Mayor Jerry Jennings has announced a health advisory for the city. The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has identified that Washington Park Lake and Buckingham Pond in Albany have been infected with Blue-Green Algae Bloom.
Advisory signs have been posted at both sites.
Residents should be aware of the following guidelines:
- Don't swim, wade or fish near blooms or surface scum
- Don't drink the water
- Keep children and animals away from any blooms or scums
- Rinse with clean water if exposed
- Consider medical attention if you have symptoms of nausea, vomiting or diarrhea, skin, eye or throat irritation, allergic reaction or breathing difficulties
- Report symptoms to the local health department
"Residents should heed the recommendations to stay away from the bodies of water at these locations in order to avoid health repercussions of coming in contact with Blue-Green Algae Bloom," said Mayor Jennings. "The upcoming change in weather will eliminate these blooms, but in the meantime stay safe and avoid contact."