Schuylerville teen recognized for saving man from fire - NEWS10 ABC: Albany, New York News, Weather, Sports

Schuylerville teen recognized for saving man from fire

Posted: Updated:
Tylor Sherman speaks with NEWS10 ABC's Lindsay Nielsen (NEWS10 ABC) Tylor Sherman speaks with NEWS10 ABC's Lindsay Nielsen (NEWS10 ABC)

GREENWICH, N.Y. - A local teenager is being honored Monday night after rescuing a man from a burning home in Greenwich on Saturday morning.

16-year-old Tylor Sherman was inside a home on Eddy Street at a sleepover when he says he woke up to someone screaming 'fire' and saw heavy smoke and flames coming from the kitchen.

Sherman says he escaped through a first floor window but then learned his friend's uncle, Gary O'Donnell, was still inside the burning house. That's when Sherman says he punched out a bedroom window and pulled O'Donnell to safety.

Tylor says he's been replaying the traumatic experience in his head and is thankful to be alive after escaping from the home.

Now Sherman is being called a hero by his school and community.

"We're just incredibly proud of his actions," said Mathew Sickles, Schuylerville High School principal. "He put his own safety aside to do something that was good for somebody else, and that's what we know about Tylor, he cares about other people and he stepped up and did the right thing."

"That's why I took things into my own hands. I just wanted to help out. That's why I jumped in and grabbed him," said Tylor.

According to the Greenwich Fire Department, O'Donnell did suffer burn wounds. He is currently in serious condition at the hospital. Everyone else inside the home escaped without any injury.

Greenwich Fire Chief Dean Watkins did not witness the rescue but commends Tylor for taking action. "Gratitude goes towards him," he said. "That's what we need, is to make sure people are looking out for other people in the community."

The school district will recognize Tylor Sherman at the board meeting Monday at 7 p.m.

Chief Watkins says an investigation determined the fire started from a kerosene heater.

Powered by WorldNow
     
NEWS10 ABC
341 Northern Boulevard
Albany, NY 12204
+(518) 436-4822
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WTEN. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.