Teen braves flames to pull man from Greenwich fire - NEWS10 ABC: Albany, New York News, Weather, Sports

Teen braves flames to pull man from Greenwich fire

Posted: Updated:
Tylor Sherman speaks with NEWS10 ABC's Lindsay Nielsen (NEWS10 ABC) Tylor Sherman speaks with NEWS10 ABC's Lindsay Nielsen (NEWS10 ABC)
Crews at the scene of the Saturday morning fire, 26 Eddy Street in Greenwich (NEWS10 ABC) Crews at the scene of the Saturday morning fire, 26 Eddy Street in Greenwich (NEWS10 ABC)

GREENWICH, N.Y. – A Washington County home is considered a total loss after a fire Saturday morning, but in the tale of loss is one of bravery as a teenager rescues someone from the flames.

16-year old Tylor Sherman, of Schuyerville, tells NEWS10 ABC he was at a sleepover at 26 Eddy Street in Greenwich when he heard a friend screaming that there was a fire.

That's when Sherman says he broke through a window to rescue his friend's uncle, Gary O'Donnell. Sherman says O'Donnell was sleeping in his bedroom.

"Punched the glass with my bare hands and broke all the wood and that's how I got him out," he told NEWS10 ABC's Lindsay Nielsen.

"And then he got up from that and I hear him screaming ‘help me, help me' so I jump and grab him and bring him out."

According to the Chief Dean Watkins, of the Greenwich Fire Department, O'Donnell was burned. The Sherman family tells NEWS10 ABC he is being treated at the burn unit of Syracuse Hospital. His current condition is not known at this time.

According to the 16-year old Sherman, he was not scared when he went back into the burning home to rescue O'Donnell. He says he is like family.

"You can buy items all the time but you can't buy family. He's like family to me," Sherman said.

Sherman's father, Joe, says he was terrified for his son when he first heard of the fire and rushed to the home.

"On the way over I was extremely scared, because I had not a clue if my son was even alive at that point."

After learning of his actions Saturday morning, Joe Sherman said he was very proud of his son.

Chief Watkins says, in all, eight fire companies from across the area helped out in various roles during the fight to knock down the fire. They were able to get it out fairly quick, but the damage is enough that the building is considered a total loss.

The fire is also considered accidental at this point, says Watkins, and investigators are focusing on a kerosene heater near the rear of the building as the possible origin.

Powered by WorldNow
     
NEWS10 ABC
341 Northern Boulevard
Albany, NY 12204
+(518) 436-4822
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WTEN. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.