Chief: Fire at Camp Pontiac in Copake possibly electrical - NEWS10 ABC: Albany, New York News, Weather, Sports

Chief: Fire at Camp Pontiac in Copake possibly electrical

Updated:
Photo: Camp Pontiac (Lance Wheeler) Photo: Camp Pontiac (Lance Wheeler)

COPAKE, N.Y. – Copake Fire Department Fire Chief Dave Proper says a fire that caused a camp in Copake to evacuate early Sunday morning is believed to be electrical due to overloading of outlets.

The fire happened in the girls' dormitory at Camp Pontiac around 3:30 a.m. Sunday. Proper says the cause of the fire was possibly because of electrical outlets being overloaded by things that were plugged in inside the dorm. He says it was unintentional.

Chief Proper says the Copake Fire Department responded to the camp after a resident noticed the fire in the wall and woke up other campers and staff. Fire officials say the alarms did not go off until smoke was heavy enough to make them sound. The dormitory building was fully engulfed in flames by the time fire fighters arrived.

According to fire officials, the fire spread to two other buildings on each side of the dormitory. Altogether, 28 people were inside the dormitory building but everyone was evacuated and no one was hurt.

"When you have that much public safety and it's just a miracle that nobody got hurt," said Chief Proper.

Camp Pontiac officials have declined to comment on the fire.

Powered by WorldNow

341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204

Telephone: 518.436.4822
Fax: 518.426.4792
Email: news@news10.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.