COHOES, N.Y. – The foul odor in Cohoes has dissipated and officials tell NEWS10 there is not a health risk to residents.
Cohoes Mayor George Primeau said the odor was from an acetone-based product and originated from the Norlite Lightweight Aggregate plant, but the odor was not toxic. He said the smell was a result of an issue with the ventilation system.
A strong, unidentified odor in Cohoes had 911 dispatchers advising residents to stay indoors, close their windows and doors and turn off their air conditioning units Wednesday night. Hazmat crews were also called to the scene to determine the source.
Norlite is a company that makes aggregate compound products for concrete as well as plexiglass.
Cohoes officials now say it is up to residents discretion to when they want to resume using their air conditioners and to open their homes.