FORT PLAIN, N.Y. -- The application process has begun for flood victims in Montgomery County.
Homeowners and business owners have started filtering through the Fort Plain Senior Center on Canal Street to speak to representatives of the Flood Assistance Team.
Residents tell NEWS10 the application process is a quick and easy one. They said all they need to do now is wait for the consultants to come out to their homes to assess the damage.
Governor Cuomo announced last week the state will step in to help flood victims rebuild after the federal government denied individual assistance.
A spokesperson from the Flood Assistance team says state will be following federal guidelines for homeowners.
"We are just getting some contact information and basic info on type of damage. I think the most important thing is that we are sitting down with them and hearing what their needs are," said Chris Leo.
In the next couple of weeks, flood victims will be getting a visit from a consultant to look at the damage. Residents and business owners should have their insurance policy on hand as well as damage estimates and photos.
"It's really, as well as they can document the damage, the easier it will be for us to determine the damage," said Leo.
Homeowners may be eligible for up to $3,200 and small business owners $50,000.
Fort Plain Mayor Guy Barton said if residents aren't sure if they qualify, they should still come down to speak to a representative.
Representatives will be available until 8 p.m. Monday at the Senior Center located at 204 Canal Street in the Village of Fort Plain. They will also be available Tuesday from 11 a.m. until 8 p.m.