ALBANY, N.Y. – Mayor Gerald Jennings and the City of Albany's Department of Recreation Commissioner John D'Antonio announced three new youth programs that will be offered free of charge this summer.
The department announced expanded opportunities for youth involvement in an effort to provide recreational activities to thousands of underprivileged Albany youths.
In addition to the activities offered in past summers, the programs that will be offered for the first time are:
- Lacrosse Club - Available to boys and girls in grades 5-9. The two-week session offers city children the chance to learn from current and former NCAA players and coaches. The program will be held from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. from July 8 - July-18 at Christian Plumeri Sports Complex. The Albany Recreation Lacrosse Club will also be offering a one-week instructional clinic from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. from July 22 - July 26 at the Arbor Hill Softball Field.
- Basketball Skills and Drill Camp - Available to boys and girls ages 6-14. The five-week camp will be held from 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. from July 8 – August 9 at the new courts at Arbor Hill and will be directed by AAU Albany City Rocks coach.
- The Plumeri Youth Camp - Available to boys and girls ages 5- 10. This day camp provides activities such as sports games, performing arts, and arts and crafts.
Past program opportunities that will be available again this summer are:
- Baseball/Softball - This clinic is open to boys and girls ages 6-12. The program will take place from 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. on June 27/28 and July 1/2 at Christian Plumeri Sports Complex. The Albany Dutchmen will be instructing this four-day clinic.
- Arbor Hill Baseball (Saturdays) - This clinic is open to boys and girls ages 7-12. The recreational baseball and softball clinic will be held at 10 a.m. on Saturdays throughout the summer at the Arbor Hill Baseball Field.
- Running - The six-week running and fitness clinic is open to boys and girls ages 8-14. The program will take place from 9:15 to 11:30 a.m. from July 9 - August 15 at the Fleet Feet Sports.
For more information or to register your child call (518) 434-5699 or visit http://albanyny.gov/government/departments/recreation/programs.aspx.