Second victim in Schaghticoke homicide dies - NEWS10 ABC: Albany, New York News, Weather, Sports

Second victim in Schaghticoke homicide dies


SCHAGHTICOKE, N.Y. -- Police say that 58-year-old Cynthia Matala, who was brutally attacked by her son July 4, was pronounced dead at Albany Medical Center Friday night as a result of her injuries.

According to police, 22-year-old Anthony Repp assaulted and killed his stepfather, 62-year-old Michael Matala, as well as brutally attacked his mother, who had remained on life support until Friday, at their Schaghticoke home Thursday night.

Police say despite their best efforts to quickly establish a perimeter around the house, Repp was able to escape and flee the area by jumping on to a fright train.  Police later found and arrested Repp in Deerfield, Mass.

Following his mother's death, further charges are pending for Repp, who was already expected to be charged with second-degree murder in connection to the death of Matala, when he is extradited back to New York.

The violent attack has stunned people who live in the area, and left many searching for answers.

"Couldn't be, did it really happen, is it a dream," said Jaye Spink, who lives less than a half mile from where the attack happened.

Spink said he worked with Michael Matala several years ago, and described him as kind person.

"You just wonder why," Spink said.

Similar memories are surfacing about the alleged attacker, Anthony Repp.

He "always had a lot of friends, high honor-roll in school, smart kid," Sheri Claus said.

Claus said her son had been good friends with Repp growing up, as they played football together and they shared the same group of friends.

She also added that he was a common visitor at her house and had always been polite.

"Always you know, 'Mrs. Claus,' and 'thank you,' and 'please,' just a really good kid," Claus said.

Claus said she believed something in Repp's recent past might have triggered the violent outburst.

"That kid put a cry out for help and didn't get it answered," Claus said.

Claus said Repp recently left the military and had only been home for the last two months.

"Some people are made for it [the military] and some people aren't," Claus said. "I just think there was some issues there that just didn't get resolved."

Police say they visited the Matala's home as recently as last week to speak with Repp about what police referred to as 'mental health issues.' Claus said she believed that was Repp's way of reaching out for help, help she said he never got.

"Somebody dropped the ball on this kid," Claus said. "They really dropped the ball on this child.  This is a kid who just needed some guidance, who needed some psychiatric help, to get through anything that he had going on."

Repp graduated from Hoosic Valley High School in 2009.  He is expected to be brought back to New York on Monday at the earliest, where he will likely face second degree murder charges.

Powered by WorldNow

341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204

Telephone: 518.436.4822
Fax: 518.426.4792

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.