Police: Chemicals caused bottle to burst on RPI Campus - NEWS10 ABC: Albany, New York News, Weather, Sports

Police: Chemicals caused bottle to burst on RPI Campus

Posted:

TROY, N.Y. - A chemical reaction caused a two-liter soda bottle to explode Tuesday afternoon, police say, prompting a hazardous material response on the campus of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

According to Captain John Cooney of the Troy Police Department, a maintenance worker picked up the soda bottle while cleaning a lawn area. Moments later, the bottle exploded covering the worker with an unknown liquid. He was transported to Samaritan Hospital but did not suffer any injuries.

Following the explosion, police searched the area for any other items considered dangerous. Troy Police officials said similar items were located inside a room at Russo Dorm on Beeman Lane. The dorm was evacuated and the Capital Forensic HAZMAT Team was dispatched to the area.

Authorities do not know the contents that were poured into the bottle or who left the bottle on the ground.

The investigation is continuing.

Powered by WorldNow

341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204

Telephone: 518.436.4822
Fax: 518.426.4792
Email: news@news10.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.