ALBANY, N.Y. (AP/NEWS CENTER) - A $1.7 billion plan to help New York homeowners and businesses recover from a trio of destructive storms has been announced by state and federal officials.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo and U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan say Friday in Albany that the spending from a federal disaster fund is intended for victims of Superstorm Sandy and tropical storms Irene and Lee.
"This was so important and pivotal I can't even begin to
tell you. If we had not gotten the supplemental and the full supplemental we
would be in real, real trouble in this state," said Gov. Cuomo.
In all, officials say $1.7 billion will be allocated for New
York through the Community Development Block Grant Disaster Recovery Program.
Senator Schumer says it will benefit both businesses and homeowners who so far haven't
received the help they've needed.
"A homeowner who needs help and FEMA wouldn't work and
their own insurance wouldn't work and their flood insurance wouldn't work will
be helped by cdbg in a flexible way," said Sen. Chuck Schumer.
Now in what the governor called an unexpected move,
officials tell the NEWS CENTER some of the money will go toward victims of Irene
and Lee. In the Capital Region that's $3 million for Amsterdam and Florida, $3
million for Prattsville, and $3 million for Schenectady and Rotterdam. HUD Secretary
Shaun Donovan says it's about time.
"$400 million for well over $3 billion in unmet needs, so
the politics that we're talking about that delayed the supplemental also led to
far too small a supplemental the first time around," said Donovan.
CRZ List and Funding Allocation
Long Island CRZ Communities
Eligible Up To
Atlantic Beach, East Atlantic Beach
Babylon, West Babylon
Baldwin, Baldwin Harbor
Barnum Island, Oceanside, Island Park, Harbor Isle