TROY, N.Y. - Troy Police and Hazmat teams responded to the RPI campus Tuesday morning after a student committed suicide using various forms of hazardous household chemicals.
Troy Police Captain John Cooney confirms Police and EMS officials found a man dead in the Colvin Circle housing building on the RPI campus around 6 a.m. Tuesday morning.
Cooney says first responders found numerous notes on scene warning people about the dangerous chemicals, specifically containing the symbol for Hydrogen Sulfide H2S.
"He left us a note saying it was hydrogen sulfide and left a hazmat sign actually indication that it was," said Troy Fire Chief Tom Garrett.
Police located six people who had entered the victim's room and were exposed to the chemicals. All six, one a RPI Public Safety Officer, were sent to Samaritan Hospital for precautionary measures.
"We had to go in there with meters to make sure that any other fumes or anything else left," said Chief Garrett.
Cooney says it could have been harmful to even more people if it had not been contained in the dorm room.
"This is real dangerous for us because most of the time you get in there you don't know what the person has used and how toxic it is. What the guys are being exposed to," said Chief Garrett.
"This is a very rare and difficult situation to deal with. We followed the lead of Hazmat teams and did temporarily evacuate students in the nearby area," said Mark Marchand, Director of News at RPI.
The scene is being processed as a hazmat scene to make sure chemicals are not lingering. Hazmat team on location and will remain there for quite some time to accomplish complete decontamination.
Police are still investigating.