GLOVERSVILLE, N.Y. – Jamie Ormanian, a 31-year-old mother has been charged with Endangering the Welfare of a Child two weeks after a fatal structure fire started when one of her children used a lighter to set a blanket on fire, Gloversville Police said.
On Wednesday, March 20, Ormanian allegedly left her three children, ages 2, 4 and 12, at a city residence located at 34 Fifth Avenue under the supervision of two highly intoxicated adults for a short period of time.
During her time away, one of the children sparked fire that spread rapidly through the two-story home.
Forty-one-year-old Donald Larimore, one of the males inside the home at the time of the fire was unable to appropriately react to the situation and died from smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning.
The second adult, Marcus VanSlyke, was able to escape the home with the three children and was immediately transported to the Nathan Littauer Hospital.
Ormanian will appear in Gloversville City Court on three misdemeanor counts of Endangering the Welfare of a Child later this month.