Top 5 Things to See Before You Start Your Day: February 26
1. Without laws, many tanning salons would allow kids: More than 40 percent of indoor tanning facilities doing business in Missouri -- a state where the practice is unregulated -- say that tanning is totally risk-free, a new survey reveals, with the vast majority indicating that their doors are wide open to children as young as 10.
2. 2 Everest climbs put Nepalese woman in record book: Nepalese mountaineer Chhurim has entered the record book by scaling Mount Everest twice in the same climbing season. In fact, she did so a week apart.
3. Maine man can whistle, but he must keep moving: A man charged with disorderly conduct for his loud whistling in downtown Portland has reached a deal with the city - he can whistle, but he can't linger in one spot.
4. MC Hammer arrested; says he was victim of racial profiling: MC Hammer was arrested last Thursday on suspicion of obstructing an officer in the performance of their duties and resisting an officer, according to reports, but the rapper claims he was a victim of racial profiling.
5. Credit CARD Act showing strong results for most consumers: It has been three years since the Federal Reserve's Credit CARD (Card Accountability, Responsibility and Disclosure) Act went into effect. The law was designed to protect consumers by regulating credit card lender practices, including how they communicate with consumers. In these three years, the act has had mostly positive impacts.
SCHENECTADY, N.Y. – A fire broke out at St. Anthony's Church Friday evening. The call for the fire at 331 Seward Place came in around 6:30 p.m. The fire started in the basement and spread upward causingMore >>
A fire broke out at St. Anthony's Church Friday evening.More >>
TROY, N.Y. – A local church is giving a gun away in a raffle, and a politician has received threats for participating in the event. Grace Baptist Church in Troy will be giving a gun away in a raffle onMore >>
A local church is giving a gun away in a raffle, and a politician has received threats for participating in the event.More >>
SOUTH GLENS FALLS N.Y. – The 37TH Annual South High Marathon Dance kicks off tonight at 7 p.m. in the South Glens Falls High School gym. The Marathon Dance has been around for decades, starting with onlyMore >>
The 37th annual South High Marathon Dance kicked-off Friday. More >>
TROY, N.Y. – A fire broke out at the Red Front restaurant in Troy Friday evening. The call for the fire came in just after 6 p.m. The fire started in the attic of the Division Street eatery. The restaurantMore >>
A fire broke out at the Red Front restaurant in Troy Friday evening.More >>
ALBANY, N.Y. – The University at Albany Police Department is warning the school community about an e-mail scheme circulating various campuses around the country. The e-mail scheme contains threateningMore >>
The University at Albany Police Department is warning the school community about an e-mail scheme circulating various campuses around the country.More >>
EAST GREENBUSH, N.Y. – A 19-year-old was arrested and charged Friday for having sexual relations with a minor. An investigation by the East Greenbush Police Department determined Jared Watts had sexualMore >>
A 19-year-old was arrested and charged Friday for having sexual relations with a minor.More >>
JOHNSTOWN, N.Y. – Police arrested a Johnstown man for an August 2013 assault. Ricky Mitchell was arrested and charged with one count of Assault in the Second Degree and one count of Endangering the WelfareMore >>
Police arrested a Johnstown man for an August 2013 assault.More >>
GLOVERSVILLE, N.Y. – Police made an arrest for multiple drug charges in Fulton County. Freddie Barksdale was arrested for one count of Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the Third DegreeMore >>
Police made an arrest for multiple drug charges in Fulton County.More >>
CAROGA, N.Y. – Police made an arrest for burglary in Fulton County. Cori Ostrander was arrested and charged with one count of Burglary for entering the attached garage of the Outlet Restaurant with theMore >>
Police made an arrest for burglary in Fulton County.More >>
JOHNSTOWN, N.Y. – Police arrested and charged a Johnstown man for Grand Larceny. James Anderson was charged with one count of Grand Larceny for allegedly stealing a credit or debit card from a pocketbookMore >>
Police arrested and charged a Johnstown man for Grand Larceny.More >>