GLENMONT, N.Y. - The Bethlehem Police Department says a 61-year-old man was killed in a fire at his home on Glenmont Road Wednesday night.
The structure fire started around 10:15 p.m. when members of the Selkirk Fire Department, along with other agencies, were able to gain access to the home to search for the residents.
The homeowner, Brad Woodworth or "Woody" as friends called him, was located in a bathroom and removed from the residence. He was transported to the hospital and pronounced dead shortly after. According to officials, he died of smoke inhalation.
One dog also died in the fire, and two other pets are currently unaccounted for.
Selkirk Fire Chief Bill Asprion says he believes the fire started in the kitchen and was electrical.
The fire was extinguished around midnight. Glenmont Road was closed for approximately five hours.
Chief Asprion says crews originally believed someone else might be inside the home, but neighbors confirmed that person was out of town when the fire broke out.
At one point, firefighters were pulled out of the building over concerns of collapse.
On Thursday, State police confirmed Woodworth had been investigated in connection to the Karen Wilson three decade old missing person case.
He was one of many to be interviewed in the 22-year old UAlbany student's disappearance in March 1985.
341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204
Can’t find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.