ALBANY, N.Y. -- A Missouri woman says she discovered a murky liquid that turned out to be mold in her child's Capri Sun juice drink -- now the discovery is circulating online, grossing out people across the country.
"I'm shocked. I'm disgusted. I just think it's nasty because little kids drink this. My little sister drinks this, and the thought of her drinking mold is -- I don't know how I feel about that," said Minerva Dickson.
The maker of Capri Sun, Kraft Foods, says the substance in the photo does appear to be mold -- and acknowledges it's happened before. Since the drink contains no preservatives, even a tiny amount of air entering the pouch can lead to a fungus similar to bread mold.
Spokesman Russell Dyer issued a statement saying, in part, "while it's certainly unpleasant and alarming, the consumption of a spoiled product does not cause a specific food-borne illness. This is why Kraft does not refer to this type of incident as a food safety concern."
Dr. James Saperstone, a veteran pediatrician in the Capital Region says Capri Sun's claim is correct: the kind of mold that would form in the drink is generally not harmful.
"Most of the dangerous mold we see is inhaled into the lungs, and those can be very dangerous. But the kinds of normal molds you see on food are rarely an issue," said Dr. Saperstone.
In the end, it's the consumer's choice: buy Capri Sun because it doesn't contain chemical preservatives or avoid it because there's a small chance of mold.
"I find it really great that Capri Sun isn't using preservatives in their drinks at all, so if there's some mold in there, I mean, try to drink around it, I guess," said Victoria Hatahaway.
341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204
Can’t find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.