ALBANY, N.Y. -- Firefighters responded to a strong odor of "gas" along the 300-block of Albany's Central Avenue Tuesday night.
A deputy fire chief with the city's fire department told NEWS10 that the situation was not related to natural gas, and firefighters flushed nearby sewers with water in attempts to alleviate the odor.
No injuries or reports of sickness were reported.
Authorities believe the smell originated in the area where Central meets Quail Street, near radio station, WAMC.
WAMC's studios were one of three buildings on the east side of Central that were evacuated. The radio station has altered their programming lineup Tuesday, to accommodate the evacuation.
According to the deputy chief, workers inside WAMC smelled the fumes for about an hour before calling authorities.
As for the firefighters, they are rotating shifts in an effort to stay warm in the cold.
341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204
Can’t find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.