Fire at SUNY Oneonta dorm displaces 177 students - NEWS10 ABC: Albany, New York News, Weather, Sports

Fire at SUNY Oneonta dorm displaces 177 students

Posted: Updated:

ONEONTA, N.Y. (AP) - Authorities say a fire that displaced nearly 180 students living in a State University at Oneonta dormitory was sparked by the improper use of a power strip.
    
SUNY Oneonta officials say Thursday the fire started around 4 p.m. Wednesday because of the improper use of an electrical power strip in a bedroom in a third-floor suite in Matteson Hall.
    
Officials say the 177 residents of the dorm all got out safely from the four-story building. The fire was under control in less than an hour.
    
College officials say inspectors determined the building is structurally sound, but will remain closed while repairs are made. No estimate of when they could return is available.
    
The American Red Cross is assisting displaced students housed in Chase Gymnasium until other accommodations can be arranged.

Powered by WorldNow
     
NEWS10 ABC
341 Northern Boulevard
Albany, NY 12204
+(518) 436-4822
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WTEN. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.