Stagnant water leads to Hudson natural gas scare - NEWS10 ABC: Albany, New York News, Weather, Sports

Stagnant water leads to Hudson natural gas scare

Posted: Updated:

HUDSON, N.Y. – Stagnant water led to a brief gas scare at a home for retired firefighters in Hudson Thursday night.

Thursday evening, a report of a natural gas odor on the west end of the building prompted a full incident command, airing on the side of safety and taking pre-cautions until national gas crews could arrive.

"We have all the residents isolated in secure part of the building. If there is, or appears there is, going to be any type of dangerous situation we have resources set up through emergency management and other resources to relocate the residents to other places throughout the county," said Hudson Fire Department Chief Craig Haigh.

Thankfully an emergency response wasn't necessary. All hazards were eliminated with the building secure by around 10:30 p.m.

Stagnant water in the sprinkler system was found to be causing the odor. Gas detectors were tested and resulted in no readings. All residents of the Firemen's House were isolated and in no danger.

Emergency management crews are on standby in case something changes.

Powered by WorldNow

341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204

Telephone: 518.436.4822
Fax: 518.426.4792
Email: news@news10.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.