NEW YORK - For many Americans, New Year's Eve is all about a beautiful Waterford Crystal ball dropping in Times Square, but plenty of cities across the United States have joined in on the New Year's Eve countdown fun.
While many drop their own version of a New Year's Eve ball, other cities depart from that norm entirely.
Listed below is just a sample of the weird, wacky, and downright odd things dropped arround the U.S. in celebration of the New Year.
1. Moon Pie - A 600-pound electric Moon Pie is dropped from the 33-story-tall RSA Tower at midnight in Mobile, Ala.
2. Possum - A plexiglas pyramid containing a living opossum is lowered from the roof of Clay Logan's convenience store for The Possum Drop in Brasstown, N.C.
In 2013, however, a successful lawsuit by PETA led to the banning of the drop, and according to WRAL.com, Logan is considering dropping a stuffed animal or possible road kill this year.
3. Sardine - In Eastport, Maine a sardine is dropped in a nod to the area's history in the herring fishing and canning industry.
4. Beaver - In Beavertown, Pa. a 6 foot Beaver is lowered from a 75 foot hook and ladder truck, touching the ground at exactly 12:00 midnight.
5. Pear - At midnight, you can watch the Fredericksburg, Va. Illuminated Pear drop down over Caroline Street.
6. Pelican - A giant Pelican - 14 feet tall, with a 20-foot wingspan - is dropped in Pensacola, Fla.
7. Stuffed Muskrat - In Princess Anne, Md., a stuffed muskrat in a top hat and bow tie named Marshall P. Muskrat is dropped.
8. Hog - In Fayetteville, Ark., a 10" by 6" Hog is dropped.
9. Olive - The Olive Drop has become an annual tradition in Bartlesville, Okla.
10. Pine Cone - In Flagstaff, Ariz., an LED pine cone is dropped from the top of the Historic Weatherford Hotel.
341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204
Can’t find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.