EAGLE MILLS, N.Y. - An Eagle Mills man credits his dog with saving his life after losing his home to a fire on Monday.
The massive fire started around 1 p.m. Monday afternoon at 375 Garfield Road.
Fire investigators say the first unit arrived within one minute of receiving the call, but despite the quick response, the home was fully engulfed and there was not much they could do.
The homeowner, Mike Pretio, said it was hard to watch. "I put all my heart and soul and just got done remodeling everything and all that work now up in smoke."
He does nickel plating, which involves several chemicals, causing some initial concerns but fire officials say they were in small quantities.
Pretio credits his 5-year-old dog Andres with his escape. He says he was doing some work in his barn when Andres began barking, causing such a commotion that Pretio went to check it out.
Pretio said he tried to put out the flames himself but just didn't have enough water and called for help.
He tells NEWS10 he is grateful for the volunteer firefighters who responded.
341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204
Can’t find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.