Toddler dies from burns sustained in Albany fire - NEWS10 ABC: Albany, New York News, Weather, Sports

Toddler dies from burns sustained in Albany fire

Posted: Updated:

ALBANY, N.Y. - The 4-year-old girl who sustained burns on 70% of her body in an Albany fire on Wednesday has died at a Boston hospital overnight.

The fire occurred at the family's 20 Benson Street home Wednesday around 11 a.m., and is now likely a total loss. Albany Police PIO Steve Smith says the fire has been ruled accidental.

The Times Union reports the the toddler's mother, Marasia Vaness, said the fire started while she was napping. She said she had turned on the burners on the gas stove on to heat the house, and the little girl then supposedly lit an incense on the burner and put it on the couch, which then caught fire.

Vaness' three children were home at the time of the fire.

Firefighters found the 4-year-old girl, Amari, unresponsive and severely burned in a back bedroom filled with smoke. She was taken to Albany Medical Center then flown to Shriners Hospital for Children in Boston.

Vaness and her two other children were taken to Albany Medical Center for treatment and have since been released.

Powered by WorldNow

341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204

Telephone: 518.436.4822
Fax: 518.426.4792
Email: news@news10.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.