1. NY parent activists worried about student database: Parent activists are criticizing New York state's participation in a multi-state student database called the Shared Learning Collaborative.
2. Senator calls for Social Security safety measures:
Sen. Charles Schumer says scammers are stealing thousands of senior citizens' social security payments, often with just one phone call.
3. Skydiver lands smoothly after daring 24-mile leap: Extreme athlete Felix Baumgartner landed gracefully on Earth after a 24-mile jump from the stratosphere in a dramatic, record-breaking feat that may also have marked the world's first supersonic skydive.
4. At CDC, scientists fight to halt a deadly outbreak: Scattered across the carefully landscaped main campus of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are the staff on the front lines fighting a rare outbreak of fungal meningitis: A scientist in a white lab coat peers through a microscope at fungi on a glass slide. In another room, another researcher uses what looks like a long, pointed eye dropper to suck up DNA samples that will be tested for the suspect fungus.
5. Bad joke prompts Alaska airport evacuation:The manager at Alaska's main airport says he expects charges to be filed after a bad joke led to the evacuation of a terminal.