Manhole covers blown after underground fire in Glens Falls
GLENS FALLS, N.Y. - Thursday morning, an underground electrical fire dislodged two manhole covers near Centennial Circle, according to National Grid.
NEWS10 has learned the blown manholes were part of at least five separate explosions. When Glens Falls Fire Department arrived on scene around 6:30 a.m., they say flames were visible about 12 feet high above the manholes. All fires were completely out as of just after noon on Thursday.
A spokesperson for National Grid says rain may have caused the explosions. It says the rain could have eroded electrical wires underground.
Debra Scoville, who lives above her jewelry store right next to one of the manholes, woke up to rattling windows and loud blasts.
"Flames, huge flames coming right out of the manhole, so it was a frightening morning. I actually saw the manhole cover pop up and saw a greenish, blue kind of a flame coming out of it, said Scoville.
Moments after Scoville returned home, it happened again.
"The series happened again so we grabbed everything again and we really took off, said Scoville.
Tony Missita, with the Glens Falls Water and Sewer Department, was working on Warren Street when the action began.
"After that it continued several times to explode and we called 911 real quick and tried to direct traffic and keep people out," said Missita.
Safety was Missita's main concern, as fire crews had yet to arrive.
"Some people were literally almost driving by it and the fire was 10 to 12 feet high at some points," said Missita.
The west side of the area is now reopened, including local businesses and homes. One building is said to have suffered interior damage and a few other buildings nearby suffered damage to exterior windows.
Most roadways are now reopened around Centennial Circle, which closed off as firemen investigated the scene.
According to National Grid all power has since been restored to the area.
St Mary's St Alphonsus Regional Catholic School has been closed, as an initial precautionary measure in regards to the carbon monoxide levels in the air. Smoke conditions and carbon monoxide levels have now been addressed and alleviated.
Local News <a href="http://www.wten.com/category/173731/-local-news">More>></a>Local NewsMore>>
ALBANY, N.Y. – The legislature voted Tuesday on the reappointments of four members of the Board of Regents. Senate Republicans ended their boycott of the Board of Regents vote and contributed on the fourMore >>
The legislature voted Tuesday on the reappointments of four members of the Board of Regents.More >>
SLINGERLANDS, N.Y. – A Slingerlands woman was told she would need to pay cancellation fees after she lost everything to a house fire. Homeowner Bonnie Kleinke lost all of her belongings when her homeMore >>
A Slingerlands woman was told she would need to pay cancellation fees after she lost everything to a house fire.More >>
COHOES, N.Y.—Make-A-Wish Northeast New York is participating in Wheels for Wishes, a national campaign. The program gives people the opportunity to donate old and unwanted vehicles to the wish-grantingMore >>
Make-A-Wish Northeast New York is participating in Wheels for Wishes, a national campaign.More >>
DURHAM, N.Y. – A court order is preventing dogs removed from two properties in the Town of Durham in February from being adopted out. Dawn Verdeschi, 45, is charged with 32 counts of failure to provide sustenance,More >>
Although most of the dogs removed from two properties in the Town of Durham in February have been adopted out, a few are still being held due to co-ownership issues.More >>
EAST GREENBUSH, N.Y. – A Troy man appeared in court twice on the same day for allegedly stealing computer merchandise. Scott Cleland, 25, appeared in East Greenbush Town Court on February 20 to answerMore >>
A Troy man appeared in court twice on the same day for allegedly stealing computer merchandise.More >>
CATSKILL, N.Y. – Village Pizza II in Catskill will celebrate its reopening this weekend. The landmark pizza restaurant was temporarily out of business after a fire nearly six months ago. The August kitchenMore >>
Village Pizza II in Catskill will celebrate its reopening this weekend.More >>
SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y.—Phish is returning to Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC) this summer for three shows. Phish will be performing at SPAC on Thursday, July 3, Friday, July 4, and Saturday, JulyMore >>
Phish is returning to Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC) this summer for three shows.More >>
CLIFTON PARK, N.Y. – Reports of a natural gas odor at Shenendehowa's High School East led to a partial evacuation Tuesday morning. The district said a science teacher noticed the smell in her classroom. GasMore >>
Reports of a natural gas odor at Shenendehowa's High School East led to a partial evacuation Tuesday morning.More >>
BENNINGTON, Vt., - Older teens will continue to be allowed to buy a pack of cigarettes in the Green Mountain State. A Vermont House Committee has emphatically rejected legislation to raise the age forMore >>
Older teens will continue to be allowed to buy a pack of cigarettes in the Green Mountain State.More >>
GLENMONT, N.Y. – Investigators say there have been a series of incidents at Asian restaurants across the Northeast similar to the credit card scheme which closed the Golden Town Buffet. Bethlehem PoliceMore >>
Investigators say there have been a series of incidents at Asian restaurants across the Northeast similar to the credit card scheme which closed the Golden Town Buffet.More >>