MOHONASEN, N.Y. - The Mohonasen School District says a high school student has been diagnosed with MRSA.
MRSA is a a potentially dangerous type of staph bacteria that commonly causes boils and soft tissue infection and is resistant to certain antibiotics and may cause skin and other infections. The symptoms may include redness, areas warm to the touch, pain, drainage, discomfort, and swelling.
The district says at this time there is no reason to believe that more than one student has been infected, however, students may have been exposed.
The district says if your child is displaying any of these symptoms or if you have concerns about your child's health, please contact your family physician. It is very important to report a diagnosed or suspected infectious condition to the school nurse, as well as the athletic trainer (if an athlete).