COHOES, N.Y. - The work and cleanup at Shelter Enterprises, on Route 32 in Cohoes, came to an abrupt stop Friday afternoon after the Department of Labor's Safety and Health Division stopped by the burned-down site.
Shelter Enterprises owner Jeff Myers told NEWS10, "They're giving us a stop work order. We have to stop all work."
Without warning, the state put up a sign stating this asbestos project is suspended.
"I understand you guys lost a lot. The last thing you need is to get cancer on top of it," said Jason Pensabene, the Industrial Hygienist from the State Labor Department. He told workers the debris from the fire could have asbestos and the company needs to handle it properly. It is the owner's responsibility to follow those state rules.
"I'm a little disappointed that I have to stop this inertia. We were all fired up to get it done," Myers said.
Instead of trying to put his workers back on the job, Myers has to look for and hire a licensed asbestos contractor to handle the mess.
"We are just frustrated by the bureaucracy and government, but we will abide by your recommendation," Myers told the state worker.
The City of Cohoes is assisting Myers with finding the proper contractor.
341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204
Can’t find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.