1. Ten ways to save on back to school shopping: According to one survey, it costs $500 to get an elementary or middle school student ready for class, and twice that amount if you have a high school student. Fortunately, it's possible to get kids ready for school on a reasonable budget when you follow these cost-cutting measures.
2. Does feeling fat make you gain weight? A new study shows that those who think they're too heavy are the ones most likely to be overweight by early adulthood.
3. What happened this week in the Civil War: This week 150 years ago in the war, Confederate fighters set out to open an offensive in Kentucky that would trigger fighting in the border state in late August 1862.
4. A $1 million mistake: When a store clerk gave a Massachusetts man a different kind of scratch-off lottery ticket than he asked for, he didn't make a big deal about the mistake; he said he just "rolled with it" and won $1 million.
5. Bear cubs mimic their mom: Three bear cubs were caught on high alert by a wildlife photographer in the wilds of Finland after seeing their mother bear do the same.
Have an idea you want to share for "News10.com's Top 5"? Email firstname.lastname@example.org