CORNING, N.Y. (AP) - Authorities say a man and his grandson were doing plumbing work in an upstate New York home when they accidentally caused a natural gas leak that exploded when they lit a propane torch.
The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle reported that Corning Fire Chief John Tighe said the men were installing a new hot water heater.
The explosion destroyed the home near downtown Corning, in New York's Finger Lakes region. The blast also damaged a nearby home and blew out windows for blocks.
The two men, 86-year-old Robert Young and his 38-year-old grandson, Paul Young, were both pulled from the wreckage alive and hospitalized.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)