LoPorto found not guilty in ballot fraud re-trial - NEWS10 ABC: Albany, New York News, Weather, Sports

LoPorto found not guilty in ballot fraud re-trial

Posted: Updated:

TROY, N.Y. - The jury found former Troy City Councilman Michael LoPorto not guilty on all counts in the ballot fraud re-trial Wednesday. A decision that brought tears to LoPorto's eyes.

LoPorto was charged with 22 counts of possessing forged absentee ballots for the prosecution's claims that he knowingly possessed the ballots, which had been forged in a scheme to steal the Working Families Party primary in 2009.

"Just really, really happy for Mike and today is a good day. I'm going to have three dirty martini's, three and I'm going to have my husband pick me up," Defense Attorney Cheryl Coleman said.

This is the second trial LoPorto has had to endure. The first trial, with former Rensselaer County Elections Commissioner Edward McDonough, ended in a mistrial in March.

"Its like I'm born again. The truth came up. He lied, he cheated, he forged documents. He should be on trial," Michael LoPorto said.

The Rensselaer County jury deliberated for two days, and decided the not guilty verdict Wednesday around 2 p.m. after hearing read-back testimony from LoPorto and for a defintion of the charge along with reasonable doubt.

On Monday, LoPorto spent three hours on the stand and two hours in what Special Prosecutor Trey Smith described as "pretty hot and heavy" cross examination.

NEWS10 asked Rensselaer County District Attorney Richard McNally for comments on the case. He responded by saying "I am not commenting in any way shape or form on this case."

Powered by WorldNow

341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204

Telephone: 518.436.4822
Fax: 518.426.4792
Email: news@news10.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.