ALBANY, NY - Police are investigating a mercury spill that occurred at Albany Medical Center on Friday evening.
A spokeswoman from Albany Medical Center confirms with NEWS10 that mercury was found in the food by one of the employee's around 5:30 p.m. while they were eating at the Choices Café, a cafeteria located inside of the hospital.
Officials from the Environmental Services team and HAZMAT responded immediately to the incident and closed down the cafeteria at approximately 5:45 p.m.
An investigation was conducted and it was determined that the employee's food tested positive for mercury. As tests were continued into the kitchen area, it was also determined and confirmed that several other opened-container foods also tested positive for mercury.
The cafeteria was re-opened at 11:00 p.m. on Friday after the food was completely disposed of and the kitchen was cleaned up.
Officials say the mercury is not a risk to anyone who may have been exposed to it.
It has not been released how the spill happened and the incident remains under investigation.
341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204
Can’t find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.