15-month-old boy dies, after father's alleged abuse - NEWS10 ABC: Albany, New York News, Weather, Sports

15-month-old boy dies, after father's alleged abuse

Posted: Updated:
Gary Lee Waite Gary Lee Waite
15-month-old Jesse died on Wednesday night after being on life support from injuries suffered at the hands of his father 15-month-old Jesse died on Wednesday night after being on life support from injuries suffered at the hands of his father

GLENS FALLS, N.Y. - The Glens Falls Police Department says that 15-month-old Jesse Smith died Wednesday night at Albany Medical Center, after suffering from severe head injuries allegedly caused by his father.

Jesse, born October 31, 2010 died at 6:09 p.m. Wednesday.

A vigil was held Wednesday night in honor of the 15-month-old Hudson Falls boy who was reported to be on life support at the hospital after his father allegedly caused serious physical head injuries to him, which ultimately caused his death.

NEWS10 has learned more about the criminal past of 15-month-old Jesse Smith's father, 28-year-old Gary Waite, of 3 Orville Street in Glens Falls, currently charged with felony assault and causing Jesse's injuries.

Waite has a criminal history; He was arrested in 2003 for an alleged assault on his sister. Also in 2003, he was convicted in Queensbury Town Court of a sex crime involving a then 15-year-old girl.

Waite was arrested and charged on Monday after Glens Falls police responded to the home for the report of a medical emergency.

The 15-month-old boy was transported to Glens Falls Hospital and from there airlifted to Albany Medical Center, where he had surgery on Tuesday and at last report was listed on life support.

Doctors tell the family and police that there is little chance Jesse will survive.

In Waite's statement to police, he admitted to not telling the truth initially as to how his son became injured. Waite admitted that he became frustrated with the Jesse's crying after he had fallen, and when he wouldn't stop crying, Waite said he threw Jesse across the couch and the boy bounced off the couch striking the hardwood floor. Waite then told police Jesse fell into a metal chair when he was trying to get his sippy-cup.

Waite had a shared custody arrangement with Jesse's mother, who is from Hudson Falls.

Waite was remanded to the Warren County Jail, for lack of $100,000 bail. Police said the charges would be upgraded if the boy does not survive.

Police say the investigation into the alleged assault on his son is continuing.

Check back to news10.com for updates.

Powered by WorldNow

341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204

Telephone: 518.436.4822
Fax: 518.426.4792
Email: news@news10.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.