1 home leveled, 2 damaged in Schenectady gas explosion
This photo was posted to our Facebook page by a viewer named Jessica Lynn.
Photo of the fire, posted to the NEWS10 Facebook page. Photo taken by Amanda Mango.
SCHENECTADY, NY - One house is leveled and two others are damaged after a natural gas explosion in Schenectady on Wednesday.
The incident occurred on Avenue B around 3:30 P.M.
Firefighters say that neighbors smelt gas and called 911. They were told to immediately leave their home and moments later the house exploded.
There have been no injuries reported in the explosion.
Alicia Bouchard is the homeowner of a damaged home. She tells NEWS10 that she is sad by what has happened and fears she may have lost her pet cats in the explosion. The two homes near the explosion suffered extensive damage.
Chief Michael DellaRocco says that there is a great deal of damage to the surrounding homes. He says that the damages are typical of what you see in a gas explosion. The sides, front and rear of the house were blown out.
According to DellaRocco the owners were having construction work done when someone detected a gas leak and reported it to authorities. He says that typically when someone calls dispatchers with a gas leak, they would tell them to get out of the building.
The fire department said this is a good lesson for everyone. If you detect any sort of gas leak in your house, don't take any chances, call the fire department, and get out because situations like this could happen.