News

Ghost pepper burns hole in man's esophagus

Allison Weeks, KRON and Brad Belstock - (KRON)—Imagine eating something so hot that it tears a hole in your esophagus and have to spend more than three weeks in the hospital.

That is exactly what recently happened to one man.

The details came out during a study by UCSF.

The culprit is a ghost pepper.

The man had eaten a hamburger smothered with a ghost pepper puree as part of contest.

It was so hot it caused a two-and-a half centimeter tear in his esophagus.

This is how hot the pepper is.

In Scoville units, which measures the heat, it clocks in at one million.

A Habanero comes in at half-a-million.

A jalapeno anywhere between 2,500 to 8,000.


More Stories

Meet the Team

  • Tim Lake
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

  • Sound the Alarm
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Auto Racing Challenge
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Meet the Team
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News - Local

Video Center