Teen dies in fire at friend's Greene County home - NEWS10 ABC: Albany, New York News, Weather, Sports

Teen dies in fire at friend's Greene County home

Posted: Updated:

GREENVILLE, N.Y. - A 17-year-old local high school student is dead after fire destroyed his friend's home during a sleepover.

The Greene County Sheriff's Office says Vincent Greco, of Earlton, was trapped inside the home of Joseph and Joanne Cartelli on Route 75 in Greenville when firefighters arrived Saturday night around 11:40 p.m.

Greco's friend, 18-year-old Joseph Cartelli Jr., escaped along with his parents.

Sheriff's investigator Sean McCulloch says heavy smoke and flames kept firefighters from reaching Greco until the fire was put out. McCullouch said the fire started with an electrical malfunction.

Greco was a student at Greenville High School. The school district has made arrangements for their crisis intervention team to have counselors available for students at school on Monday.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    

Powered by WorldNow
     
NEWS10 ABC
341 Northern Boulevard
Albany, NY 12204
+(518) 436-4822
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WTEN. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.